Who We Are
The SFL Young Workers Committee is made up of young trade unionists (age 29 and under) from across the province.
Mason Van Luven, GSU, Chair
What We do
The labour movement consists of diverse workers and experiences. These working people join together to improve working conditions and to demand dignity and respect for all people. As young workers within the labour movement, we work to ensure that young people’s voices are heard and that their rights are respected.
The SFL Young Workers Committee meets to discuss what’s going on in our workplaces, unions, and communities and what we can do to challenge the exploitation of young workers and educate youth on their rights.
We also work with veteran trade unionists to ensure that young workers’ perspectives are included in all aspects of their union and the labour movement.
Facts about young workers in Saskatchewan
- Young workers are often the lowest-paid and most exploited people in the workforce.
- Younger workers are more likely to be injured on the job than older or more experienced workers.
- Most young workers aren't aware of their basic rights in the workplace.
- 94% of young workers in Canada(15-24 yrs.) work in the private sector, and 7 out of 10 of these work in service industry jobs.
- Most injuries among young workers occur in their first year of work
- Nearly half of all young workers work on a part-time basis and are only covered by a collective agreement in 11% of workplaces.
- The largest workplaces are the most highly unionized, but only 4% of the workplaces with more than 500 employees employ
workers under the age of 25.
- Service sector jobs are the least unionized, and are among the fastest growing areas of
employment for young workers
SFL Ready for Work Program
The SFL is proud to offer "Ready for Work," our Occupational Health & Safety presentation used to educate young workers about their health & safety rights on the job, including:
- the right to know
- the right to participate
- the right to refuse unsafe work.
Ready for Work is delivered by trade unionists, who supplement the slideshow with true stories of young people who were injured on the job.
This presentation is useful for young people who are about to enter or are currently in the workforce.
Please contact the SFL Ready for Work Coordinator to arrange a presentation.
Terms of Reference
- FINAL Terms Young Workers (200 KB)
The committee is seeking full representation from all affiliates. For further information or to appoint your affiliate representative, please contact the Young Worker Vice-President.